The COLBORNE ACHITECTURAL GROUP Paciﬁc was initially commissioned by UBC’s Assoc. VP Land & Building Services to study planning feasibility for re-development of the existing Main Library as the ‘University Learning Centre’. UBC’s Librarian proposed the concept for a multifunctional learning and research facility centered around the c.1925 heritage library. CAGP presented two preliminary concepts for phased demolition and reconstruction of 200,000 sq.ft. of new space directly linked to the 36,000 sq.ft. ‘heritage core’. Following programming, urban design, and budget reviews, UBC’s Board of Governors approved the project in May 2001. In collaboration with Downs Archambault + Partners, Vancouver and Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer Associates, Los Angeles, CAGP was appointed to advance the project which contains innovative, ‘high tech’ teaching and learning spaces along with Canada’s first, fully-integrated ‘Automated Storage Retrieval System’ for 1.4M stored items.
Since its opening in Spring 2008, CAGP has been involved in a number of interior fit-outs for different user groups as functional needs in the building change.