Hut M-17 provides 16,100 sq. ft. of usable area with one-storey south portion of the
building dating from 1925 (similar to adjacent M-18) and 2 storey north addition dating
from the early 1950’s. The COLBORNE ACHITECTURAL GROUP Paciﬁc determined that
despite significant mould contamination in the north addition, value remained in the
original wood structure. Retrofit involved significant removal of interior partitions to
allow re-planning of space for theatre rehearsal studios, Fine Arts darkroom, faculty
offices and student social space. Reconstruction also permitted full seismic upgrade of
the structure along with access for disabled persons including new hydraulic elevator.
The exterior maintains existing ‘rough stucco’ heritage finish (patched and re-painted)
with extensive new fenestration and metal siding.